Friday, October 24, 2008

Nope, that's 'vagina'

So, this is my second post with the word 'vagina' in it. I like to start things off with a bang. Now honestly, think about this. How would you describe 'bang' to someone who has never experienced its sound? Pay attention and you shall see.

I am struggling with simple words. If I don't watch myself, 'shy' accidentally becomes 'whore'. Really folks, one finger makes a difference. I was scared of the word 'bug' for awhile. I knew that 'penis' and 'orgasm' were too close for comfort. One slip of my hand can prove that my appetite has nothing to do with food. 'Triangle' and 'pizza' are not what they look like. Nope, that's 'vagina'.

As most of you know I am learning ASL.

Every week I transition between signed english and ASL for various classes. These are two very different languages. With signed english everything is signed. With ASL many words are not used, and oftentimes the sentence is rearranged. ASL is a beautiful and intimidating language to learn. After you watch this video I challenge you to turn off the sound. You may be surprised to find that little has changed.




On a separate note:



Really folks, there is just so much beauty out there.

2 comments:

the walking man said...

I turned the sound off before watching it the first time. Of course I had my own music going...Janis Joplin singing "Work Me, Lord" It was strange, the second time I was not expecting to hear the rap, over "Under Pressure." Stranger still but more in sync with his movement...but I will say that I seemed to understand it better when he switched to ASL. It communicated the rhythm of the music better (couldn't understand the "words" in either case. Ears are too old)

"'Triangle' and 'pizza' are not what they look like. Nope, that's 'vagina'."...Some comments of mine are just better kept at home. ha ha ha ha ha


Aye there is a lot of beauty out there if we take the moments necessary to see even a little bit of it.

jodi said...

Girl, you give me pause. I love your manipulation of words! Creative and thoughtful.