Monday, October 13, 2008

excited

You know, we need to get more EXCITED about being alive. So many problems could be solved with a little enthusiasm, a little respect, a tiny bit of nice here and there.

Every day I eat lunch alone. I race to the only microwave at school, nuke my food, grab a paper and claim a spot in a comfy chair far away from the cafeteria. Today, a classmate asked if I wanted to sit with her. I’ve been going to college for 5 years and I have never been asked to join someone for lunch. Nor have I ever thought to ask someone if they wanted to sit with me. I was floored. So, of course I said yes. I even shared my brownies Robert made for me (a very big leap). I sat with three girls. Two were twins, perky and perkier. I was a little put off by how excited they were. I was expecting a table full of too much mascara and gossip. I figured the most exciting thing we would talk about was Halloween jello shots. Instead I was greeted by education majors who didn’t drink. One even mentioned she was interested in special education. Needless to say it was an awesome lunch. I can’t wait to get back to my poofy chair that conveniently sits underneath a broken vent (nearby chatter goes zzzzzzt), but it is nice to know that there are people out there that are EXCITED to be alive. I applaud excited people, but only if I don’t have to see them everyday. Sometimes my own excitement is too much for me.

I started a new babysitting gig tonight. The mother just needs a few hours a week to breathe. She has two kiddos, 8 months and 2 ½ years, and they are a handful. I am so used to the 4-10 age range. I have a whole bag of tricks and games for older kids, but absolutely nothing for teensy ones. I showed up empty handed, but quickly realized that noise was going to be my new best friend. As long as I stayed on their level and made plenty of noise I was fine. Will this work every time? I hope so.

And just for fun:

4 comments:

the walking man said...

A little bit of nice here and there...Interesting sentiment Noisy. Might even save us from the upcoming storm.

It is good to find serious when we expect vapid.

Ha ha ha ha ha Phil.

Sornie said...

It's an experience just like that which makes me actually want to go back to college. I just know I'd finally fit in.

Pepper McKean said...

I am not excited right now.

I know I told you I would help you with your car and I came off as a bitch. Then when you called to tell me the price.... I came off as a bitch. God I put my toast and Orange Marmalade before my own flesh and blood. We all know that blood is thicker than Orange Marmalade.

I am so sorry. To keep your excitement level high and to stay positive stay away from your mother for a few days. I am grumpy. (understatement I know)

Elenor's Mama said...

Plenty of noise will work at first, and then they will realize how to push every one of the buttons you posess. No matter how much patience you think you have a toddler will always trump you.