Sunday, September 17, 2006

Crawling around in bat guano....

Next Sunday I will be crawling around in bat guano with a Russian and a bunch of rednecks. I am slowly starting to get nervous. It will be a 10 hour cave trip inside Big Smittle. Big Smittle is what the local cavers like to call a ceiling sniffer which means that there is very little space to crawl in and most of the space will be occupied with water and mud. JP, the Russian, called to confirm just a little while ago. It took me about 20 minutes to decipher his message because his accent is so thick and another 20 minutes to work up the courage to call him back because I have this fear about talking to people I do not understand. It went well. He is a lot like Scott #2, my tennis partner in Springfield, very polite and very Christian. We are riding down together to save money on gas. I am more nervous about the car ride than I am about crawling around for 10 hours in a treacherous cave. Will we talk? What will we talk about? What if I have to tell him I do not understand something he says? Will that offend him?


This past week has been quite obnoxious. First I must tell you about Friday when I was on the radio; yes I was on the radio. I really wanted to win tickets to a particular concert, so I called. The dj, sweet lenny, ANSWERED. Even though I was calling it never occurred to me that someone might actually answer. Our conversation went like this:


Sweet Lenny: 95.7 the vibe
Me: Is it over?
Sweet Lenny: No I think we could make this relationship work. Don’t you?
Me: No
Sweet Lenny: SLAM, you’re one of those mean girls aren’t you?
Me: no I just want those tickets.
Sweet Lenny: Well we’re giving more away later on tonight. What’s your name?
Me: Hannahjane (I actually told him. god)
Sweet Lenny: Where are you?
Me: Bo Lings (I was ordering takeout).
The Chinese lady behind the counter gave me a nasty look.
Me: oops I’m at Chien Dynasty.
Sweet Lenny: what??
Me: Overland Park
Sweet Lenny: Oh so you’re a JO girl (JO is for Johnson county)
(I would go on, but I’ve already embarrassed myself enough.)


When I got back out to my car (I swear to you this happened) I turned on the radio and right away our conversation came on the radio. I sounded like such a snobby prat.


My logic class is slowly starting to grate on my nerves. I really don’t give a damn about deductive validity. It is boring as all get out. I made a 75% on my first
test. Bombed it. It is definitely not my cup of tea.


I did, however, make an 88% on my first math test.


Tomorrow is going to be hell. I have two tests, political science and poetry but Monday is usually quiche day in the cafeteria so there is light in the darkness.

1 comments:

Pepper said...

My daughter the ceiling sniffer - sweetie have you considered rehab.

About logic are we back to:
All toasters are items made of gold.
All items made of gold are time-travel devices.
Therefore, all toasters are time-travel devices.

Don't worry about offending your friend because it shows you are interested in what he is saying.

love you toots